Saturday, October 18, 2008

The Bumpy Wagon-Ride of my Weightloss Goals

I fell off the skinny-pants wagon. I know, I know, it's only been like a week - WHAT AM I DOING!!! Silly question. I can tell you exactly what I've been doing. E.A.T.I.N.G. I believe I am a victim of overconfidence, and I have totally been neglecting my positive self-talk about what a babe I am, and how my body really does want to weigh 136 lbs. (I've decided that would be my perfect number. The new target weight zone is 136-140, but I think that's as far as I want to go, so please don't worry that I'll get so caught up in losing weight that I'll have to be rescued when I dip below 95 lbs. This could not happen. I love food way too much).

My other problem is that I'm currently in a popcorn slump. My go-to lunch (with something healthy added to it - I'm not on a popcorn starvation diet) just isn't doing anything for me all of the sudden. This is not the first time this has happened, but it always poses the same issues.

Popcorn is something I love (usually), and actually crave. Being able to eat something I consider a big treat everyday for lunch (and bedtime snack half the time) totally saves my diet. I never feel like I'm depriving myself, and look forward to my healthy little, calorie/fat saving lunch. Take away that option (because it doesn't do anything for me if I don't enjoy it - I've never been able to eat things I didn't like just because I should) and I spend all day long chasing my fix.

I ate leftover pasta (like A LOT of left over pasta) for lunch two days in a row. One of those days I think I also ate some for breakfast.

I've eaten out twice.

There's been cookies, cheesecake, and a girls' night that I really can't even go into.

It's time to get things back under control here, because I made that little vow about holding steady and exercising self-control, and I've been totally blowing it.

Like a 5-lb-weight-gain-by-next-week-if-I-don't-get-a-grip kind of blowing it.

And while I'm on the subject, I view self-control regarding food as a gospel principle. I mean overcoming the natural man actually means overcoming our physical appetites, right? Isn't food the biggest, most constant appetite of them all? Shouldn't I be able to control my need for bad-but-oh-so-good food to some extent??? How often do you see an obese general authority? I don't know, I can't back this up with scripture, and you can call me a radical, but to me it just makes sense.

So as of this moment, I am getting a firm grip. No sweets this week (believe me, I had my share these past few days), and a substitute for my popcorn must be found. Sometimes tomato sandwiches do the trick, we'll see if they tempt me tomorrow. Maybe if I throw on cucumbers and a teensy bit of cheese? It really doesn't matter what it is as long as it soothes the savage beast that is my appetite demanding food I actually like, and is healthy at the same time.

I'm feeling more in control already. I love a plan. I'm all over it, and the 136 is my lucky number once more!

5 comments:

tiki_lady said...

woohoo, you are back and focussed now can you please be my personal fitness motivator because 136- 130ish is my magic number~!

Natalie said...

I like the general authority referance. Good point.

Becky said...

"I'm feeling more in control already. I love a plan."

That is so me! If I have a plan, I do so much better. Even when I fall off the wagon, I can hop back on more easily if I know the plan. Stick to the plan, lady!! (Sorry, I'm yelling at myself, not you. Unless it helps you, in which case, I've got more where that came from, pal!)

J. Baxter said...

Mother Goose - I am only too happy to be your motivator!! You can totally do it, but you have to start saying fab things to the mirror. It seriously has amazing results!

Becky - Please yell at me. I can take it.

carla said...

love a plan

love S.M.A.R.T. goals

need not to feel restricted.

you ARE MANY people's personal motivator :)

MizFit